Update 15, Part 1: New Year's Goal: Become an "official" Gourmess by August 2010

I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate. --Julia Child

Session 7: Working with Potatoes

I did the first two Demonstrations for this session on potatoes: Pommes Pont Neuf (Thick-cut French Fries) and Pommes Frites (French-fried Potatoes). The difference was basically in the size of the frite -- the first was thicker, the other a normal fry size. I did the two-step deep fry method where you put the potatoes in 300-degree oil for a few minutes until they are limp and pale, then drain and put them back into 350-degree oil until golden and crispy.





I served them with a medium-well steak, an easy horseradish-and-herb butter sauce I love to make, and a green salad. Chris made us an attitude adjusment that he read about in AM New York called The Pickle, which included gin, cucumber, dill, salt, simple syrup, and lime juice. It was really good!





I also practiced some of the common cuts for frites:



After cleaning up the kitchen, I decided to make a blueberry cobbler -- but of course the GourMESS showed up when I grabbed for the sugar canister--and ditched it all over the stove and countertop. Ugh. Then, when I was drying some of the dishes, I cut my finger with the vegetable peeler. Ick.


I think I may have had one too many Pickles...cobbler came out well, though.




More tomorrow!

xoxoxo